nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cider Question

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cider Question
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:42:43 -0500

Lucky,

You state:

"I truly think that many of the folks who advocate using it for
purposes such as this don't have any idea of what it is, how it
works, or what it does - I'm guessing they're thinking, "Well, if you
can use it to 'disinfect' a wound, it must be good for
sanitizing/disinfecting a multitude of things(including apples,
livestock water tanks, etc.) - but 'it ain't necessarily so".

I dfo know what it is, how it works and what it does. TsunamiĀ® 100 (Peroxyacetic acid-based) is an EPA registered antimicrobial agent for pathogen reduction in fruit and vegetable processing water. Tsunami 100 is recommended for use in the process waters of post harvest, fresh cut and processed fruits and vegetables in both batch and continuous operations. Tsunami 100 is also approved for use in spraying or dipping fruits and vegetables to control microbial growth that causes decay or spoilage on the surface of produce. Tsunami 100 is not for use to control microorganisms on hard surfaces such as tanks, lines, or flume surfaces or food processing equipment.

Used as directed, Tsunami 100 reduces 99.9% of the pathogens Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella terica in fruit and vegetable processing waters. Tsunami 100 also provides control of spoilage and decay causing non-public health organisms present in processing waters and on the surface of post-harvest, fresh-cut and processed fruits and vegetables.

Would you advocate not desiring to reduce the pathogens Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella terica in fruit and vegetable processing waters?

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com