nafex - [NAFEX] Pond Irrigating

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pond Irrigating
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

With this our second dry summer in a row (1/8" since June) I am getting more
serious
about getting proper water up to my 2 acre orchard. Pond is on one side of
the 18' high
hill, orchard on the other, heavy clay. I have a 1000 gallon tank on the top
that I pump
to and gravity feed from. Slope downhill is uneven so gravity watering
using 3/4 pvc
with 5/16" " holes every few feet has gotten me by, but is clumsy and
irregular. I am
thinking my new 4 horse Honda semi-trash pump could easily power a few large
rain-bird
type sprinklers. Set it up so it sprays clear over the 12' trees. I have an
1/8" mesh
screen on the infeed so would have to use large agricultural scale sprinklers
- to be
sure they don't get clogged. Has anyone worked with gas-pumped pond water and
sprinklers?
other suggestions? Thanks, Del
btw: I lost most of a 150' row of asparagus (10 years old) apparently by not
watering
before last winter - I thought it was one plant that was nearly
indestructible.

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3a N. MN

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC