nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear question

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear question
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:57:19 +0000

I tried a ripening experiment on a Barlett-type tree (sorry, I don't know the true name) which just refuses to have any storage life. Group 1 was near-yellow pears which had fallen and the yellows which fell into my hand from the branch, group 2 was green but decent-looking pears which had fallen, group 3 was the 'perfect' batch-- harvested just as color started to fade from green. All got ripened in average-to-dry cool basement. Group 1 was more likely to spoil from skin breaks, but had the slowest core breakdown!