nafex - Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery - More comments

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery - More comments
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:04:12 -0500

The strange thing about St. Lawrence Nursery is that they don't believe in
dwarf trees.

That was a problem for me, too. But I still bought some plum trees from them, because I thought that plums would be just a small tree anyway, and that I would be able to summer prune them to keep them small. I only planted them in April, 2006, but I'm already wondering about my assumptions. They are VERY vigorous, and summer pruning has been harder than I expected (for one thing, I hate to keep pruning when it's horribly hot and dry - which describes the whole of our summers). Still, I seemed to have a hard time finding any DWARF plums.

Um,... and I must admit that I think I planted them on top of where the old outhouse used to be, which probably didn't help matters any.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such purpose, and you allow him to make war at pleasure. - President Abraham Lincoln