nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrel problems? tried animal psychic

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fixes for squirrel problems? tried animal psychic
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:21:52 -0500

and having with an animal psychic talk to the squirrels

That was pretty funny. I could just imagine! But actually, I talk to the squirrels, too. But they don't talk back when I do it. :-D

Seriously, did you get that April freeze like we did? There's just been very little natural food for the squirrels and birds this year. I've heard that squirrels are doing a lot more damage than usual to trees and vegetable gardens (there's hardly any fruit here for them to bother this year). And I just talked to someone who had his entire blueberry crop wiped out by robins - the first time that's ever happened. The same thing happened to me with my black raspberries. I've never had a big problem with robins before this, but I didn't get a single ripe berry this year.

Anyway, I've been feeding the squirrels peanuts when I work in the yard. They've been eating so many that I'm surprised they can still climb trees. I'll admit that it didn't keep them out of my strawberry patch, but they haven't chewed up my young fruit trees and they haven't bothered my tomatoes, like I hear from other people around here. They haven't even tried to get at my grapes (unlike the cardinals, which have really been working at trying to get through the chickenwire and bird netting), but maybe they don't like grapes?

Well, I'm in town, so I can't get the ingredients for squirrel stew. And the little tree rats can sure be infuriating at times. Once I get fruit on the trees, I doubt if peanuts will keep them happy. But I do think it's lessened the problem a little bit. My big maple tree didn't have a single seedpod this year, so I can see why they were especially hungry. But maybe you didn't get that freeze as badly as we did?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true. - Carl Sagan