nafex - Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery/plum tree size

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] St. Lawrence Nursery/plum tree size
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:45:48 -0500

My plums on P americana grow as large as and are faster growing than my
standard apples, and real thorny to prune.

Oh, I really didn't want to hear that!

My veeeeeeeeeery best rootstock so far for my long-season zone 3 area (and
I've tried them all) has been the Bud-118/Bud-9 interstem.

I had a hard time finding the apple varieties I wanted on a dwarfing interstem, but I ended up buying from Adams County Nursery in Pennsylvania. They're M-9/EMLA111 interstem and, so far, they look really good. Of course, they've only been in the ground for a year and a quarter, but they're very sturdy trees and still don't seem to be trying to grow too tall. They even bloomed this year, though the freeze got the blossoms. But one of them bloomed a bit afterwards, and I left four apples on the tree.

I would definitely go with a dwarfing interstem again, but the selection seems to be poor on this sort of rootstock.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In 2001, I had hoped it was an aberration when polls showed that three-quarters of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was responsible for attacking us on September 11. More than five years later, however, nearly half of the American public still believes Saddam was connected to the attack. - "The Assault on Reason" by Al Gore