nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear Spreader

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian Pear Spreader
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:30:32 -0500

On the subject of Asians. We have tried to spread the branches the same as
our apple trees. Yet they seem to be very brittle and snap away from the
trunk even with mild pressure. Has anyone had the same experience ?

Well, yes, I've had that problem with my young Asian pears, but it hasn't exactly been specific to them. This has happened to me on just about every kind of fruit tree I've got. And each time, I curse myself and vow to be more careful. And I am,... for awhile, until I get hot and tired and careless again.

But for the most part, I've been able to spread the branches of my three Asian pears (3 different varieties). If I'm careful, I don't seem to have a bigger problem with them than I do with my apple trees, plum trees, or anything else - though I have snapped off branches occasionally. I'm certainly no expert, but that's my experience, so far.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
America has believed that in differentiation, not in uniformity, lies the path of progress. It acted on this belief; it has advanced human happiness, and it has prospered. - Louis D. Brandeis