nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:13:20 -0500

Bill, one of the new Cornell sweet cherries, either White Gold or Black Gold,
blooms later than the other. This would be a very important trait since
frosts during bloom are the largest deterrent to growing sweet cherries in
the Great Plains states.

Thanks, Sam, but how would that work for pollination? I assume I'd need two varieties that would bloom approximately the same time, wouldn't I? I do have a North Star sour cherry, but from what I've heard, sour cherries won't pollinate sweet cherries.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half. - Gore Vidal