nafex - [NAFEX] Modified Lorette for Zone 3

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Modified Lorette for Zone 3
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 06:53:13 -0700 (PDT)

This summer most of my 6-10 year old orchard (on seedling rootstock) is
starting to
produce fruit, thankyou nafexers for so much help back when I got started!
I've decided
it's time I learned about summer pruning. One thing I haven't understood is
how Modified
Lorette works in Z3a.
Should I wait till each tree has put on terminal buds, or just before? In
cutting water
sprouts off it is not clear to me just how high to leave them for this zone -
is the idea
to get a water sprout to fruit only right at the branch juncture where the
circle of
leaves are - to turn it into a 6" tall fruiting spur? or?
thanks, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/