nafex - [NAFEX] trees-from-seed experience

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] trees-from-seed experience
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 06:07:05 -0700 (PDT)

I rcvd an off-list question re my comment in my grafting report, where I
mention
stratifying fruit-tree seeds: "What's your report on THAT?"

No report yet. It was a project which started from the logic of desperation.
couple cultivars which I'd like to graft & increase, I just can't get to work
with
any of the more readily available rootstocks. Since like grafts best to
like, I
figured that these trees might take better to rootstocks grown from their own
seeds.
If anyone knows this is a worthless idea & project, please post!

And then since I was growing a couple trays of seeds, why not plant a whole
table of
seeds of good chance-seedlings? I don't think it hurts anyone, doesn't waste
much
more of my time, and it's cheaper than a drug-habit. First year most
seedlings were
eaten by various animals thru the spring; now that I've learned that lesson,
I'm
hoping other stresses will occur to the trays so I'll have fewer but tougher
plants
to row out. A big pine-tree branch fell on a couple trays last week--
reduced those
seedlings to a manageable number.

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.