nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the webpage, declining membership, and options...oh MY!

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the webpage, declining membership, and options...oh MY!
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:34:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "mangodance" wrote:

> 4) There have already been preliminary discussions about what to do with
> past issues of Pomona. The organizations needs to figure out what makes
> the best sense as far as being able to provide value to paying members,
> as well as get enough free content on the site to entice people to
> actually become members. I've been quietly evaluating options so that I
> can make recommendations to the board. Once I have enough to
> intelligently discuss it, I'll put forward the options, pros and cons,
> and my recommendations. I welcome anyone's input.

Back in 2000 there was a lot of discussion on this topic (I go back and read
the archives occasionally). Basically, the main issue was copyright
infringement. Some members evidently do not want the material they submit
to Pomona to be available for free distribution. This is sad because there
is a wealth of information that probably doesn't exist in such a
comprehensive form as in all the past issues of Pomona. What a resource if
we could have all the past issues bound in volumes for sale, or offer it in
electronic media, but because of copyright issues it will probably never
happen.

Mark
Kansas