nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the webpage, declining membership, and options...oh MY!

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the webpage, declining membership, and options...oh MY!
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:38:27 +0200

Hallo Mangodance,
thank you for your prompt answer and thank you very, very much for your action,
thoughts, proposals and fresh ideas.

ciao
hans

mangodance schrieb:

Below are some notes off the top of my head. I didn't bother to rework them and there may be some repetition. I just felt the need to get this discussion out there quickly.

First, let me say that while some of these issues have seemed divisive in this topic, I believe they don't have to be. It is apparent with most groups that they need to add different tools to the toolbox these days. That doesn't mean you have to sacrifice those things the base are comfortable with...just that by adding additional options, you do the organization a service and enable it to continue to prosper. I do not think that there are unimportant members. Even novices have something to add and a part to play. No amount of work, input, etc is too little. We're all richer for people taking up the torch regardless of how they get to it.

On the subjects of money, marketing, and recruiting. Members sharing info are the backbone of the organization. NAFEX can not exist without them. NAFEX can also not afford to let the membership dwindle. I'd like to think that the work all of you are doing will be furthered by future generations. I'd hate to find it ends when we do. Money is also extremely important to groups. It's a subject no one ever likes talking about. It is true we're a nonprofit and that our mission is to disseminate information. However, a number of functions organizations have (like ours) requires we be on sound fiscal footing. It is something usually transparent to the membership. It is also something your directors spend long hours dealing with so that the membership finds enjoyment and not drudgery. You can thank those folks who hassle through all of the financial aspects when you read an enjoyable newsletter, find the meeting you're attending, or another member with shared interests and scion wood! While discussion of these subjects are sometimes seen to detract from the mission of an organization, nothing could be further from the truth. All of us benefit directly from a financially sound organization.

1) On the subject of online payments - I work with a number of small organizations who have struggled with this very issue. Dues, donations, etc are always sought, but to be honest, people do find it hard to write even small nonessential checks after paying all the regular bills. Not that they can't, there just seems to be a desire to put it off until later. Dues, donations, etc take a back seat. Others may feel more ardent about making it happen and that is great. However, I'm a big believer in making it as easy as possible to receive money from people. Dues and donations are usually more forthcoming. Each organization I've worked with that made it happen has reaped benefits through additional membership and donations, and it has also made accounting for their volunteers easier. It does NOT mean that the traditional methods are forsaken, nor does it create a drag for people not choosing to use online payments. Many groups also see a willingness to create recurring donations...even $5 a month is an extra $60 a year. Set up as a recurring payment, there is no effort on the part of the donor. I've found it easier to get people to consider that than write a $60 check as they really don't miss the $5, and they don't have to write 12 checks. IMHO, you DO lose somebody important if a dues payer doesn't pay...regardless of the reason. I hate to seem sanguine, but while it would be nice if little or no money was needed, and as an organization we didn't have to be concerned with it, being on sound fiscal footing is paramount to keeping strong groups functional. And as someone who no longer writes many checks because I use more automatic and paperless methods, I too see the value of multiple methods of member payment.

2) While I plan on beefing up the website....along with a LOT of help from you...the membership, I do not believe in a lot of useless flash if it affects functionality or usability. I believe in accessibility and will definitely continue to make sure anyone can use it regardless of hardware or software.

3) I feel that we could do a better job connecting with individuals and groups that are like-minded. WE should be the clearinghouse for info. The place where anyone can go for info, for a contact, planting lists or help creating them, and sources. Many of our members are THE experts. We should harness that knowledge to further the cause. Many of our members may also be the SOURCE of plants, fruit, etc. We need not only to foster their well-being, but also connect people with them. I'm not talking about large agrichemical corporate ventures creating plastic and cardboard flavored produce. I'm speaking of what a number of our members run family farms, specialty nurseries, etc. We can not lament the fact that people don't understand what real food is if we do not present them with real options. Hook consumers with an apple and hardy kiwis may be next on their wish list. The people we reach NOW will be those discussing their next moves as NAFEX members decades from now.

4) There have already been preliminary discussions about what to do with past issues of Pomona. The organizations needs to figure out what makes the best sense as far as being able to provide value to paying members, as well as get enough free content on the site to entice people to actually become members. I've been quietly evaluating options so that I can make recommendations to the board. Once I have enough to intelligently discuss it, I'll put forward the options, pros and cons, and my recommendations. I welcome anyone's input.

5) I have heard a number of stories in my few years as member and at various meetings about members, former members, and friends of members having all of their notes over a lifetime of work wasted...damaged by nature, thrown away by family, etc. etc. ad nauseum. These are tragedies. In redoing the structure of the website I wish to hereby offer to ANYONE, the ability of your notes, work, etc to be archived in the ether of the web for generations. You may reach folks in your county or another country...this year or decades from now. Anything you learned, someone else may need to learn or at least be interested in reading that which you have experienced. Please let us put your work to greater use.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):