nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic: Rhubarb

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic: Rhubarb
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:19:26 -0500

Rhubarb gets a bit tough and loses some of the perfumey flavor that the best
varieties of rhubarb can have later in the season. I have a variety that
came with my place that doesn't seem to toughen too much. The previous
owner, who was 90 at the time of sale (and is now 103), called it 'wine
rhubarb'. 'Tis superior to my other plants--don't let anyone tell you
rhubarb is all the same--though naturally the stems are small and the yield
is less. What else is new. If I use my regular rhubarb later in the season
I slice it thinly or even peel the stalks. Then the tougher skin isn't
objectionable in dishes such as rhubarb custard pie (mmmmmmm).

I suspect that most of the reason that rhubarb was not harvested later
traditionally was because once the strawberries came in people moved on to
other flavors. Make the strawberry-rhubarb jam and move on.

Steve H., Lone Rock, WI