nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic: Rhubarb

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic: Rhubarb
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:13:43 -0700

On Jul 3, 2007, at 2:09 PM, parker@worldpath.net wrote:

Folks - I have heard that one ought not harvest rhubarb for consumption
after Memorial Day. Anybody know anything about this? Does it become toxic?
Thanks, dylan

I, for one, never harvest rhubaarg until memorial
day as it is not ready; then I harvest for a
month or so. Here after about July it gets tough.

I've been growing rhubarb as part of my edible landscaping but have never harvested it. The stems haven't really turned red so I didn't think it was safe. Lately, there are some that are reddish, but they're very rubbery, not turgid. What are the usual rules for telling when rhubarb is ripe and safe?

Spidra Webster

(who harvested her first-ever Royal apricots from her yard today and is in 7th heaven)

Berkeley, CA