nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are Brambles good for me to try

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are Brambles good for me to try
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:52:38 +0000

In sand & light soils you want good reliable irrigation for bramble fruits. The crop of black raspberries this year looked great, despite the late freeze, until the temps were a bit high for a few days and the rain held off. It means extra searching to find plants where water ponds a little or flows off a roof.

Blackberries here (a county east of and sandier soil than Muffy's place) are even smaller-fruited and suffer more from low rainfall, but the canes seem to be greatly drought-tolerant, growing interwoven thorny thickets on the highest driest sand piles. Years ago they flowered only after mild winters, (or sometimes after a regular winter if deep snowdrifts had covered the blossom buds) and the rare good crops could be harvested from better soils. Now they flower even after last winter's "harsh" weather!

Red raspberries? Certainly the best fruit-to-thorn ratio, but everyone who grows them has too many, and then the viruses catch up with them and wreck the fruit production but the canes & rhizomes remain.