nafex - [NAFEX] Summer grafting Mulberry

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Summer grafting Mulberry
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:34:47 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2007 11:56:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, apc@vassolinc.com writes:

Each summer we make the rounds to pick Mulberries to make syrup. We always pick a few to taste. There is one tree that is consistently the best tasting and
has the largest berries. Does anyone have a couple of pointers as to the best time and method to take a cutting to start a new tree?
Thank you, Anthony NW Illinois Z 4-5

Hello Andy,

The best is wait and collect scion wood next winter and graft in the spring.

But you can do it this time of year also. Look for a bud on last years growth that didn't come out. Look at last years growth where branchlets came out this spring.  There are usually buds still dormant and will come out when the tip meets with a disaster like this years late spring freeze. You can cut off the growing tip above this bud(s) and cut that off about 2 inches below the bud. Now bark graft this as you would dormant winter cut wood. Splice graft would likely also work if grafting to a seedling. As the bud you selected is a reserve dormant bud it will take maybe three weeks to break dormancy and elongate, but I've had good luck with this method. I in fact did this with a summer collected scion of mulberry several years back. Have also done this with apple and plum.

Jerry
zone 5b

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

  • [NAFEX] Summer grafting Mulberry, Jwlehman, 07/03/2007