nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NNGA membership declines

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:55:44 -0500

I guess you can tell business is slow for me today. I finally joined NNGA last year and finally got our address problem corrected so got my long awaited and long anticipated first NUTSHELL. What a disappointment, very thin reading. Then I read that their membership has declined to only 600, only about 1/4 of what it has been in the past. Anyone know why? I assume it's the old guys dying off. Could it be that the internet and things like Gardenweb as another way to meet kindred souls have added to the decline? I do find that the antique rose group contains knowlegeable people, but other forums tend to involve a lot of very naive beginners.
I am concerned because I had assumed that I'd be able to track down some old friend of Cecil Farris who would have his hazels in their backyard. ( I do hear that Corvallis has his stuff) Also I want to find the info on Fox and Davis shagbarks, which was compatible with mockernut, which with pignut, so I'd know which one I have and try the other one again.( I do try to keep decent notes on what I do and decent labels, but failed on these) Lucky says I didn't get them from him and they're not on his list of what Ted Danieki has, so I have no idea who I ordered them from some 9-10 years ago. I know there is a big overlap of membership between the 2 organizations, so maybe you all know something about what has been happening with them. Donna