nafex - [NAFEX] Grapes and freeze damage

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grapes and freeze damage
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:22:58 -0500

Just thought you might be interested that my two Concord grapevines are just loaded with grapes this year. I'm very surprised, considering that I wondered if they were dead after that April freeze. I'd pruned them heavily, and sap was pouring out of the pruning cuts (which then froze into long icicles), and the buds were just starting to open up. After the freeze, they didn't show any sign of life for awhile, but they sure came out of it well! I planted them three years ago this spring, and they produced a few clumps of grapes last year. They've been extremely vigorous, and I've really pruned them back each year. They don't seem to sprout new canes where I want them to, to make a nice, um,... scaffold? But I bumble along, anyway. Never a sign of insect or disease damage, either.

I've got a red Caco grape, too. (I bought these from a local nursery, without having any idea of what I was buying. Yeah, not smart.) It's never been as vigorous as the Concord, and the freeze seemed to kill off more of the buds, but it's still doing pretty well. I've got some nice clumps of grapes on it, too, though not as many as the Concords. Considering how everything looked last April, I'm quite happy. And all my young trees made it, too. I just lost the mulberry. No complaints here!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true. - Francis Bacon

  • [NAFEX] Grapes and freeze damage, William C. Garthright, 06/25/2007