nafex - [NAFEX] Primocaine raspberry?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Primocaine raspberry?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:03:31 -0500

One of the new (just sprouted this year) canes in my black raspberry patch is blooming right now. If my understanding is correct, that's called a primocaine raspberry, isn't it? One that bears fruit on the current year's cane, rather than on canes from the previous year?

I wouldn't think anything of it (the birds planted my raspberry patch to begin with, so almost anything could probably show up the same way), except that it seems to be part of a clump of "normal" canes. Is that possible? Can a raspberry plant produce one cane that's a sport, that flowers completely differently than the others? Or am I just mistaken that it's part of the same plant? It LOOKS like it's in the same clump as neighboring canes, but I suppose it's possible that two roots are entwined. But it's a good-sized cane. It looks big enough that it must have a well-established root. Of course, I might have just missed it in previous years, since I wouldn't expect raspberries later in the year.

Note that it's definitely a raspberry cane, but the flowers and buds don't look exactly like the others do. I cut out all my old canes this weekend, and tied up the young ones, so that's when I noticed it. (Incidentally, I didn't get a single black raspberry this year. For the first time ever, the robins ended up eating every one before they got ripe. <Sigh!> I guess it's bird-netting for me, after this.)

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We are as gods and might as well get good at it. - Stewart Brand, Whole Earth Catalog