nafex - [NAFEX] Local Nursery Information's worth

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Local Nursery Information's worth
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:03:50 -0500

I don't know why people just assume that local nurseries have answers to everything. I have dealt with alot of them and quickly learned that the owners had no more qualification for their tasks than their love of working with plants (I hope there are exceptions to the rule but I have yet to encounter one). For employees who are willing to work for minimum wage, it is a real opportunity for the public to ask you questions as though you have all of the answers. Qualified people will usually want a higher wage than what many nurseries are willing to pay.
An anecdote that I often repeat happened in one nursery I was in when the owner was giving a pitch for his favorite brand of insecticide for killing aphids. In his sales pitch, he said, "................................................and it'll even get the eggs." After the customer left, I drew the owner aside saying, "Lester, aphids don't lay eggs at this time of year; they give birth to live young." He didn't know and I don't think if he even believed me.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Since I'm in Nebraska, I called the Backyard Farmer public TV program,
but the person answering phones told me to just take a sample of the
problem to a local nursery.

Bill