nafex - [NAFEX] Saskatoon photos / comments

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saskatoon photos / comments
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:17:46 -0400

Hello Squad;

I spent the weekend up at the farm in Maine.
Walking back to the house after catching 5 fish out of the river, I started eye-balling the plants in the hedge row as I've done dozens of times before. BANG ! There's a wild Amelanchier, probably Canadensis given it's location on the east coast in zone 4. It is a multi-trunk small tree, 20 feet tall. I snapped off a branch and took a picture of the leaves and berries. See Photo "Wild1a". Then, for perspective, I took another called "Smoky1a".
Picture Smoky2a is a random plant from my orchard showing berry size on June 10.

    Anyhow, I went back to the Wild tree and tied some plastic bird netting around a branch with berries to let them mature, hopefully. I did the same on a couple of my Smokies, too. Guys; I got plants that I was sure were dead as hell sending up suckers from stubborn crowns of Smoky. Man are they tough. Also, some of the plants that got frost-heaved up out of the soil and had semi-exposed roots, I mounded some soil around the base to cover the roots and crown back up. These plants are slow growing.

    On the good side, there are a lot of these little plants starting to bear fruit. Also, not one sign of Entomosporium yet this year. None on the wild tree either.

Thank you for your comments, and I hope you find the photos interesting. Yes, I shrank them already.

Richard Murphy