nafex - [NAFEX] chemical thinning question

  • From: sjkeipert@highstream.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] chemical thinning question
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:21:53 -0400

Thanks for the advice. I knew that there were a lot of complicating factors
that
determined the level of drop. The apples were still quite small when I sprayed
the thinner. Smaller than 10 mm. The varieties that I have the most trouble
with are late season apples ( Haralson and Honeygold are the worst)and tend to
size up slower than some of the others. We have had no problems with frosts
here in western Wisconsin this Spring, and pollination was about as good as I
have seen it. The neighbors have a wild hive of honeybees in a tree hollow,
and
we have a surplus of smaller solitary bees. I sprayed at dusk on a cloudy day,
so the spray was wet on the tree for a long time for good uptake. I will cut
open a few apples to see what the seeds look like. Thanks again. - Steve