nafex - [NAFEX] chemical thinning question

  • From: sjkeipert@highstream.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] chemical thinning question
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:54:42 -0400

Some of my apple trees that have a tendency to be bienial bearers are getting
the size where hand thinning is a pain. This year I tried thinning with a
spray
of 10 ppm NAA along with a spreader/sticker to improve wetout. I sprayed about
12-14 days after petal drop, so its been about 3 weeks now. So far I have not
noticed any difference in drop, just the usual loosening of stem connections
in
the undersized apples. Having never done this before, what should I be looking
for? When should I expect thinning, at the normal June drop? Any advice would
be appreciated. - Steve