nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question

  • From: "Michael Phillips" <michael@herbsandapples.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:05:42 -0400

Surround does run off a smooth plum readily, but not to worry. The clay
coverage on the leaves, twigs, and branches of the tree is just as
important. Curculio does a lot of crawling seeking out the fruit, and in
those journeys picks up irritating clay particles that make the pest want to
be somewhere else. In other words, clay on the fruitlets is generally the
last line of barrier defense. If you try to "stick" the clay with oil or
some other spreader, you are working against the design of the Surround
approach.

Another relevant factor with Surround is deliberately leaving a tree or two
unprotected so the bugs have someplace to go to dissipate their reproductive
urges. This can be a nearby wild tree or a preferred host fruit (like plum
in Minnesota) being used as a trap tree. This way you can limit how long the
clay coverage needs to be kept up from 6-8 weeks down to 2-4 weeks. There
are several strategies for limiting returning populations in and beneath
those trap trees.

Michael Phillips
Lost Nation Orchard
Heartsong Farm Healing Herbs