nafex - [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:00:11 -0400

I have been very frustrated in my attempts to use Surround to control Curculio here in southern Vermont. I sprayed Surround 4 times in the 6 days prior to this weekend, when I had to leave the orchard for a few days.(Why someone would schedule a wedding right at petal fall confuses the heck out of me!) There was some rain during this time, but not excessive amounts. The trees were a brilliant white with a thick layer of clay built up on leaves and fruit. There are unsprayed trees in abundance around the orchard.
Upon my return I found widespread curc damage, and even found several of the little buggers curled up playing dead. Since I still have apple trees in bloom I am reluctant to reach for anything which will harm bees, although I have come to a state of moral comfort with a single chemical insecticide spray a year. I guess I have no choice but to sit on my hands for a few more days. Maybe I should plant a plum tree nearby and leave them that as an offering :).

Jason MacArthur