nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:17:52 -0700

Though curculio is not a problem out here, I still try to keep an eye on control methods.  The reports of good control are isolated.  Some growers like Surround plus Neem; some use trap trees; some burn the underlying plants.  I think it’s most likely that a combination of methods would work best.  I’m hoping for more effective pheromone traps, which would not just monitor the presence of the wee beasts but trap them out or interfere with mating.  IPM (integrated pest management with limited pesticide use) is an understandable choice vs. organic when dealing with curculio.  Our coop carries only organic produce, but I think we lose business by not having local IPM crops available hen there’s no organic alternative.  Then again, being strict does create a demand for more all-organic crops.  But we’re spoiled.  Right now we don’t have pests that can’t be controlled organically.

~ Stephen