nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Research

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Research
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:23:36 -0500

----- Original Message -----
Richard MURPHY wrote:

The most common pest so far has been (to the best of my ability to match
what I see to St. Pierre's manual) is Entomosporium Leaf Berry Spot. The
most effective chemical for this, that I can find, is Chlorothalonil.

Hi Richard,

You may be aware Chlorothalonil is not registered for use on serviceberry.
This becomes even more critical in that may be selling the fruit.
Chlorothalonil is considered a fairly dangerous fungicide. It is a known
carcinogen. I don't want to exagerate because there are other chemicals we
use that are known carcinogens (gasoline). And indeed Chlorothalonil is
used in some household products such as paint thinners. But it is one of
the more severe chemicals. It has a water half life of 49 days and an
aeorbic half life of 35 days. It is a restricted use pesticide in some
states and is banned in some european countries.

On a positive note, it does a very good job on peach leaf curl (for which
it's labeled). The winter before last I sprayed three copper sprays (not
good for the environment either) and still had peach leaf curl. Last winter
I sprayed Chlorothalonil twice, and so far there is zero peach leaf curl
despite a very wet spring.

This is going to be a problem for you and is frustrating to me. That is
pesticides are generally licenced only for major crops. In growing
unpopular fruits one better hope for ideal growing conditions else the
pesticide options are generally few to none.

Mark
Kansas