nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Research

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Research
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:51:17 -0400

On Jun 3, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Richard MURPHY wrote:

Hello All;

. . .As far as 'how to produce crops, and what cultivars to use', they have well established this. BUT...... It is all for zones 3 and 2 climate. Not going to be a slam-dunk for Americans.
. . .
I have an orchard 4 hours north of my residence. It is in zone 4 Maine. I have about 500 Saskatoons in the ground. . . .
Another thing that differs from here to Saskatchewan is sunlight hours per day. Don't they get a lot more than we do ? Temperature is another factor, and soil composition and structure. The latter is being dug into more deeply by yours truly.
. . .

Richard, are you just growing the Canadian cultivars, or have you tried local ones? I found a wild one in my backyard in eastern Massachusetts, and I've seen a lot of them on the islands on lake Winnepasauke, in NH. So I'm pretty sure there are some locally adapted varieties, although probably not commercially available. My employer just planted a row of them as an ornamental in Boston (!!) last spring. They fruited last June are well on their way to ripening a good crop this June, and look quite healthy. (Something fungal on perhaps 1/5 of the berries last year, but the other berries and the leaves were pretty clean. Haven't noticed anything this year.) So maybe locally adapted ones are available commercially.

Ginda