nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poisonous Garden Huckleberry?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poisonous Garden Huckleberry?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:38:28 -0500

There is a very thorough monograph on the bewilderingly diverse black
nightshade section is at
http://www.ipgri.cgiar.org/publications/pdf/337.pdf.

Also see the entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum for species
and popular names.

Wow, this is interesting! There is a fuzzy plant I have thought was a physalis but have become rather puzzled about.... it seems to come up at the same place every year and there aren't any others like it. I wonder if it's one of these nightshades on a perennial root. I'll have to get over there to have a look when it's cropping. Maybe it's really S. physalifolium - Hairy nightshade . Thanks for the links Sam! Donna