nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoons
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:42:56 -0400

I'm sure the problem people have with cultivated juneberries and humidity are due to the geographic origin of the domestic cultivars.  The wild ones I pick live on the edge of islands on Lake Winnepasauke in NH, where there's lots of summer rain and humidity (and they are literally hanging over standing water) and they are clean and healthy.  It might be worth looking for local native seedlings rather than relying on Canadian prairie stock, if you live in a humid place.

Ginda