nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the Bees

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the Bees
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 22:07:32 -0400 (EDT)

I think the organic beekeeper referred to is Sharon Labchuk of Prince Edward Island. Her thought was that if the bees are allowed to build
the size of cell that is natural to them, which is closed off earlier
than the artificially large cells favoured by many beekeepers these
days, the bee larvae are exposed to mites for a shorter period and
the bees are able to keep many more of them mite-free.

Regarding mosquito repellents, I have read that oil of lavender
repels mosquitoes, and that there is commercial interest in it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada