nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging with nylon footies for grapes and peaches

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging with nylon footies for grapes and peaches
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

I bagged grapes and peaches last year with nylon footies and they worked great for both.

This year I stretched the ends of the footies and tied the ends around the peach branch...I am hoping this will catch the peaches that fall off before I can pick them and keep them from getting damaged. I will still need to check daily, but the longer they can stay on the tree the sweeter they get...or so I've been told!

My experiece is that plastic bags make stone fruits crack, at least that is what happened to my plums, and I would expect the same for peaches.

Now it's just a matter of time before the squirrels/racoons/possums figure out what the footies are covering. The plastic bags around the apples fooled them for 5 seasons, but last year was a disaster.

Nate
Andover, MN

ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN <hartmansfruit@msn.com> wrote:
Mark,

You don't have to be concerned about getting the corners of the bags cut because there is no water that will collect in the bags.  Yes, they can be reused.  Most people plant the varieties that are resistant to fungal diseases so I am not sure about that aspect.  I am not sure of the use on peaches.  You might try some when you get a chance.

Bob