nafex - [NAFEX] Poison Oak question

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Poison Oak question
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:22:10 -0500

Several years ago I visited Itasca State Park and pictures of Poison Ivy and Poison Oak were displayed for public viewing. The picture for "Poison Oak" was really Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).
My botanical keys, Britton & Brown, lists Poison Ivy and Poison Oak as separate species separated mostly by leaf shape. I've seen both leaf shapes on the same plant. From my experience, I would challenge the idea of their being separate species. I have traveled most of these United States and have encountered only one plant that could, perhaps, be a separate species. It was a California Poison Ivy that grew 12 to 15 ft. high, unlike its more common cousin(?) that grows to about 2' high.
What is your experience on this subject?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com