nafex - [NAFEX] freeze damage on Snow apple blossoms

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] freeze damage on Snow apple blossoms
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 20:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

Ironic, huh? Of the apples I grow, I know 2 of their cultivar names: Snow and
Tolman Sweet. The Snow blossoms this spring were deformed in petal and true
flower
parts, so much so I nearly blamed it on the neighbor's ag spraying. Then I
saw same
damage about half as bad on the TS, which is far less likely to receive spray
drift.
Other trees (forgotten names & chance-seedlings) had less blossom deformity,
but
some of these are taller and I lacked time/ambition to do evals via ladder.

During that cold snap in early April, native stuff with earlier appearance of
flower
buds (willows, hazelnuts, Amelanchier, plum, pin cherry, red
elderberry/S.pubescens,
Ribes) just sat and thought for a while, then when weather warmed up they
gradually
continued what they'd been doing. No, I didn't take a hand-lens to each of
these,
just quick peeks. LEAVES of the red elderberry (the early ripening non-edible
species) showed some toasting, but the flower clusters, which were about 3/4"
when
that cold hit, look great. Amazing.

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, BTW the lot logged 3 winters ago is full of the red
elderberry--
birds will have food for a week or 2 here

It's here! Your new message!