nafex - Re: [NAFEX] freeze damage on Snow apple blossoms

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] freeze damage on Snow apple blossoms
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:00:46 GMT

Tanis,
If your apples were enough ahead of ours because of your sandy soil it might be freeze damage, but our apples didn't have damage that I noticed.  The Snows didn't have many blooms, but that may be because they've been so heavily laden for the past few years.

There were two beautiful flower clusters on a third-leaf Red Baron on Antonovka rootstock.  Does anyone know if Red Baron has a reputation for precocity?

Muffy Barrett
SC Wisconsin,  where we're due for a good hard frost any day now since the Actinidia kolomicta are in bud and even the Actinidia polygama have flower buds showing.

-- tanis grif  wrote:

Ironic, huh?  Of the apples I grow, I know 2 of their cultivar names: Snow and
Tolman Sweet.  The Snow blossoms this spring were deformed in petal and true flower
parts, so much so I nearly blamed it on the neighbor's ag spraying.  Then I saw same
damage about half as bad on the TS, which is far less likely to receive spray drift.
 Other trees (forgotten names & chance-seedlings) had less blossom deformity, but
some of these are taller and I lacked time/ambition to do evals via ladder.
Tanis Cuff, s.WI,