nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deer

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deer
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 02:11:51 -0400

A 23:23 07.05.03 -0400, vous avez écrit :

Check out a product called Deerchaser on the internet. It uses only a 6
volt light and a radio set to very low volume coupled with a motion
detector to scare away deer, protecting an area of about 625 square feet.
It can protect a larger area by preventing deer from traveling along a
pathway. (Full disclosure: I am the developer of the product which came
onto the market this spring after more than ten years of effort.)
<<<<

Hélène and Lee,
In 2002, I bought a very similar device from Gemplers, was called "Lentex
Yard Contro+", which consisted in an enclosure with a motion detector, a
strobe light and an untrasonic emitter (ajustable 8 - 50 kHz), and powered
by 4 D size batteries. The motion detector is claimed to have enough
sensitivity to cover an area of 30 feet diameter. The exact device I bought
is not available anymore at Gemplers, but a Google search gave many links
to other retailers. See, for example:
http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/yard-contro.html

At the time, I bought 3 of these to repel bears which had the bad habit of
climbing in the apple trees and ripping all the nice fully loaded branches,
leaving the tree in a pretty lamentable shape. It seems it worked pretty
well as my trees didn't have to suffer damage from bears since. Now, for
the last couple of years, deers have started to visit me, but I didn't
really test the repeller with them yet.

Lee, I would be interested to know if there are major differences between
the Yard Contro+ and the Deerchaser you worked on. Or are the 2 products
just 2 competitors?

Claude Jolicoeur