nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deer

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deer
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:19:35 -0400

On May 4, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>Hi,</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>What is the legal definition of “running deer”?  I would guess that it is indicative to hunters using dogs to run deer to exhaustion as part of the hunting process, not a dog chasing a deer away from crops.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>

I can't find the actual law right now; and have to go get something else done.

The term however around here generally just means chasing. If somebody says the neighbor's dogs were running his sheep, he doesn't mean that the neighbor was out there instructing them to do so (though he may sue the neighbor for damages, and/or shoot the dogs).

Even if the law does not so define this: if your neighbors think it does, your dog may wind up just as dead.

This may well vary by area.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly