nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deer

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deer
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 10:07:20 -0500

In some areas you need to be cautious about training your dogs to chase deer; especially if they might chase them onto someone else's property.

I might also mention that if you encourage your dogs to chase deer, then it's likely they'll continue further than you expect or want - and certainly more than your neighbors want. Sort of like encouraging your dogs to bark. If you discourage them from barking, they'll still bark when necessary, but if you encourage their barking, you'll soon wish you hadn't (or your neighbors will).

I suspect most dogs will chase deer, to some extent, even given no encouragement at all. And, of course, if they're confined to your property, then no problem. But I would never encourage a dog to chase deer if he's allowed to run lose. (I never let my old lab chase anything but squirrels, since I figured they wouldn't go very far. That worked OK, except that my dog took some bad falls when he tried to climb after them!)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president. - President Theodore Roosevelt