nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Raspberry and freeze info

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Raspberry and freeze info
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 12:30:27 -0500

Michael,

I live south of Kansas City on the outskirts of the suburbs. I can't say
much about wild rubus, but our domesticated blackberries will not fruit this
year. For some of them, they were small canes, and would have been the
first year to fruit (planted spring 2006). Others were planted this spring
before the big freeze.

All of them leafed out before the freeze and the foliage was pretty much
100% destruction. The floralcanes on last years blackberries refoliated but
are now in the process of dying, while the roots are sending up new
primocanes. The black raspberries planted this spring also suffered
significant loss on the foliage. They are sending up primocanes as well.

The blackberries that should have fruited were Apache. I called a PYO
blackberry patch several miles south of us. They have a little more hardy
blackberry (Chester) and they said their foliage was killed as well. But
they did say the word is still out on whether theirs will fruit or not. So,
it's hard to say if you could find any wild rubus berries around here or
not, but I wouldn't necessarily be optimistic.

I planted some service berries this spring. Looks like we have about 4
berries that set from one of the new plants. There is going to be fierce
competition of insects and wildlife for those 4 berries. I'm prepared to do
battle.

Mark
Kansas