nafex - [NAFEX] gluten

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] gluten
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:54:29 -0400

Hello All,

I have been reading with interest about wheat gluten, rice gluten, pig feed, and pet feed, and I was not surprised to see a link to honey bee feed begining to rear its head.

It appears that RCP rice concentrate protein has been found to be contaminated with melamine.  Some firms use this as a protein source for artificial bee pollen feed.

There has been no official link yet.

Rice protein concentrate causes pet food recall to expand.

Tammy Terry tterry@wrbl.com
/ WRBL - News 3

April 27, 2007

     Diamond Pet Foods and Chenango Valley Pet Foods are recalling pet food products after the discovery of rice protein concentrate that may be contaminated. It's feared that the rice protein concentrate may contain melamine, which is used in fertilizer and plastic production.

There is one firm that makes both rice protein concentrate and a bee pollen substitute;

       “Bee Pol” – International Ingredient Corporation

       http://www.iicag.com/beepol.php

It will be interesting to see where this leads.

Later,

Tom