nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gluten

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gluten
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:11:04 -0400

...... Original Message .......
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:00:29 -0400 "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
wrote:
>Hi,
>

>Wheat gluten is what is left after starch is washed away from the wheat.
>Isn't starch what sugar breaks down into?

technical quibble. Starch is chemically made up of a string of sugars, and
starch can be broken down into sugar, not theother way around. Modern
'supersweet' corns lack the enzyme the corn plant uses to create starch out
of (simpler) sugars.

I don't know how the Chinese gluten got contaminated. I suppose it's
possible the contamination was on the raw seeds, and also got into other
products, which might have been fed to bees. But wheat isn't usually used
to make sugar products, so that seems like a bit of a log shot. Of course,
other stuff might be contaminatd from other sources.
_
Ginda