nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [off topic] Foraging

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [off topic] Foraging
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:51:40 -0400

I also dry nettles to add to soups and stews. I have a collection of garden
gloves, and this is definitely an occasion for gloves. After a few hours of
wilting the plant is less aggressive, when you prepare it in the kitchen.
But if you have a large quantity, might as well continue wearing gloves to
avoid the irritation. There are minute hairs under the leaves that are
responsible for the stinging. You can see them if you look close or with a
magnifying glass.

My favorite Spring recipe is Nettle Vichyssoise (potatoes, leeks and
nettles). Stinging nettles is also very tasty with sour cream. I agree with
all the other recipes listed by Donna below. The taste is special.

Hélène