nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frost/freeze protection and growing in containers

  • From: SuziRT <suzirt@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frost/freeze protection and growing in containers
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:26:19 -0500

Books on fruit growing in containers.
The Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science has two titles:

"Potted orchards: Growing fruit in small spaces" by Alan F. Simmons, with drawings by Denys Baker and diagrams by the author.
Chapters are: General Management, Training, The Orchard House, Outdoor Protection, Health and Welfare, Apples, Apricots, Black Currants, Blueberries, Cherries, Citrus Fruits, Figs, Gooseberries, Grapes, Mulberries, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Red and White Currants, and Strawberries.
It is for sale on a number of used book websites.

"Movable harvests: Fruits, vegetables, berries: The simplicity & bounty of container gardens" by Chuck Crandall & Barbara Crandall. Shelburne, Vt. : Chapters, c1995.
Chapter 10: Beautiful Berries, Fabulous Fruit
Book review at: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/bkrev/MovableHarvests.html

The Royal Horticultural Society has an online article on fruits in pots at:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1006/fruitpots.asp

...and in their February 2007 newsletter, The Fruit Group Newsletter, on page 4 is another article about fruits in containers.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/documents/FruitGroupNewsletter0207.pdf

The latter article mentions two books, the Potted Orchard (above) and an 1904/1919 book, "Culture of fruit trees in pots" by Josh Brace, but it's hard to find (I don't have it here).

For the true seeker of knowledge, another potential source of such information could be found in books on "orchard houses" or "graperies", and some books on greenhouse growing may yield some information, too.

I hope this helps.
---Suzi Teghtmeyer
Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science, Missouri State University & Fruit Experiment Station