nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze damage follow-up

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze damage follow-up
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:24:19 -0500

My two cents would be to prune them now. Scratch the bark to make sure it's
dead. I did that on the persimmon and paw paw. The paw paws turned out to
be alive, the persimmon (at least toward the end of the whips) are dead.

I would also prune back to the bud you wanted. The trees shouldn't have
much trouble replacing the few inches of growth lost to pruning, especially
if their pruned before they put their energy into re-foliating.

Mark
Kansas