nafex - [NAFEX] apricot flowering/honey bees

  • From: Karen Kellogg <garuda2@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apricot flowering/honey bees
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:21:38 -0400

My zone 5 (NW Conn) largest apricot burst into bloom today, a week or so later than usual. It's either sungold or moongold; I planted them alphabetically but can't recall where I began. The tree was humming with pollinators--some small waspy things, one carpenter bee, and a hundred, maybe many more , honeybees. I don't know how to tell one honeybee from another ; I know I have digger bees (miner bees?) on my piece of land, but don't know of hives within a mile or so.

Usually the apricot blooms before it is warm enough for most honeybees; the wasps and carpenter bees usually do enough. It would help if the second apricot bloomed at the same time, but it lags, in time and in growth. It was a joy to stand amidst the blossoms and buzzing!

Karen