nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:49:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/2007 4:14:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jlfrisk@iowatelecom.net writes:

My persimmon is an American variety.  I pick the fruit off the tree when ripe or when they have dropped on the ground. When ripe they taste somewhat like butterscotch.  I like eating them a lot. I usually don't bother with collecting large amounts for cooking.

Hi Judson,

You must try making persimmon pudding with your next crop. Only need two cups of pulp. It is wonderful!  Here is my favorite recipe:

BARB'S PERSIMMON PUDDING
1 C. persimmon pulp      1 stick marj.
1 C. sugar               1/2 t. soda
1 C. flour               1 t. baking powder
1/4 C. blackberry wine   1/2 t. cinnamon
3/4 C. butter/sweet milk 1 egg

Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix persimmon pulp, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Add milk flour alternately and mix well. Use greased and floured pan and bake at 325 degrees for one hour.

Notes - Reduce baking time if batter is less than 3/4" deep. Increase batter depth in pan to produce a more pudding like product. This is Jerry's favorite served warm from the oven with ice cream.

This recipe originally came from Mitchell, IN, famous for their annual fall Persimmon Festival and cooked products contest. It is low in spices which allows the persimmon flavor to come out better.

Jerry

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.