nafex - [NAFEX] Which trees didn't freeze?

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Which trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:30:27 -0400

In central Virginia, we received two nights where the temperatures dropped to 23 degrees just before dawn. The freeze wasn't the problem, it was all the warming before-hand. Some of the peach trees had finished blooming a week before. The petals still look normal, but I'll bet the fruit is all damaged. The pear and paw paws look like someone hit the blossoms with a blowtorch, and the blueberries don't look too good. None of the trees froze, except maybe the fig which we had just uncovered the week before. No trees were killed that I can detect, but there were some winter- type damage at tips. I am growing Jujubes for the first time and they look pathetic, but am not sure how they Should look this time of year! The medlar seems fine. The persimmons had not yet prepared to bloom, so I will just have to see. I plant bunches of different things, and always get something.

Barbara Rosholdt
Zone 7a