nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

Almost all American persimmons are astringent until
soft. Asian persimmons can be either astringent until
soft or non astringent. The non astringent types can
be eaten fresh off the tree like an apple, except most
people don't eat the skin.

The Americans are very cold hardy but you need more
than one tree because most trees are either male or
female. The Asian trees are self pollinating but only
reliably hardy down to zone 7.

There are some Korean varieties that are hardy down to
zone 6. There are also some Asian x American hybrids
that are cold hardy down to at least zone 6 but I
don't know whether they self pollinate:

http://www.nuttrees.net/persimmon.html

If you remind me in September/October I'll be glad to
send you some Asian persimmons. I have two trees that
produce an abundance of fruit.

--- "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>