nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:06:33 -0400

On Apr 13, 2007, at 8:46 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

Tim,
I'm is zone 3 and zero of my orchard was damaged. I've got numerous
berries, tree fruit, stone fruits, vines, all unscathed.

Let's hear it from everyone.........................whose fruit trees,
vines, bushes, etc. are still undamaged?

Here is eastern Massachusetts (zone 6) we had a difficult winter, but an "ordinary" difficult winter, not a horrible winter. I kept worrying that stuff would break dormancy early, but nothing did.

Right now I have some damage to the roses I put in last summer, and to the experimental cold-hardy camellias I planted, and I'm a little worried about the apricot buds (they are swollen and pink, and there's still cold weather in the offing) but everything else looks completely fine. (Actually, the apricot buds look completely fine, but I'm concerned they have been cold-damaged anyway, since I understand flower buds are very sensitive.) The strawberries have just begun to sprout, the apple and blueberry and apricot buds are swelling, the currants show green tip, the raspberries and grapes look fully dormant, the oaks are fully dormant, as are the maples and most other large trees. In short, it looks like early spring/mud season. I haven't unburied the pomegranate I planted last year, but I suspect it had trouble with the combination of harsh cold and lack of snow cover. But I won't know how it's doing until I remove it's leaf mulch in another couple of weeks.

Ginda