nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:20:03 -0500

Though the fruit is black and dead, these trees had hardly any damage to leaves or shoots: sweet and sour cherries, peaches, pears, apples, blueberries, myrobalan plums. The AU plum leaves look terrible, but at least one native plum looks fine. Chestnut shoots and catkins are dead and shriveled. One seedling black walnut had leafed out, the grafted one had not. I thought it was 'Thomas Myer' but that's two varieties, so I don't know which of the two it is. I'd just bought some Aronia this winter which were in full bloom, and looks like the flowers were undamaged. The wild blackberries and tame black raspberries seem undamaged. My Kiowa blackberries had some flowers nearly ready to open, these are black in the middle despite having been weighed to the ground and covered. Looks like maybe some of the dogwood flowers were unharmed. The strawberries have a lot of black centers in spite of having had 2 layers of nylon over them. The 10 blueberrry bushes that I covered seem to include 3 bushes where at least some of the berries look ok, though it may take another week or so to be sure. I think it's mostly to do with where they were in the row and under cover and which way the wind was coming from.
The wild trees that look best are the wild black cherries and the elms. Donna Tennessee, eastern Highland Rim, Z6